Canadian Student Visa for Indian Students
Many Indian students prefer to get an undergraduate or graduation degree in Canada because of its quality education. They need to get a Canadian student visa for the same and a study permit if they want to study in any of the DLIs. Canadian territories and the provincial governments have approved such institutes to host international students.
About the Canadian Study Permit
A study permit is different from a Canadian student visa. Upon approval of the study permit, a candidate will be issued an ETA, i.e., visitor or electronic travel authorization. The validity of the study permit is equal to the course duration and three additional months.
Application for a Canadian Student Visa
Candidates need to visit the Canadian government website to submit an online form which needs the following details:
- DLI's acceptance letter for the candidate. Make sure to get the acceptance letter six months before enrollment in case of admission to primary/ secondary schools. This must be done one year in advance for enrollment in post-secondary courses.
- A valid passport.
- Two photographs of passport size. The name and date of birth have to be mentioned on the back.
- A valid debit or credit card is needed for payment of fees, supporting international payments in India.
- You should have proof of financial support for studying in Canada. You can provide any of the following for this:
- Proof of an education loan taken from the bank to cover the course fees.
- Bank statement of the last four months.
- A bank statement that is convertible to the Canadian dollar.
- Evidence showing payment of tuition and housing fees.
- Evidence of funding/scholarship from the educational institution.
- A person who is providing you with financial support should produce a letter mentioning the same.
- Proof of bank account in Canada with the candidate's name and required funds already in it.
- A participating Canadian financial institution should provide a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) to the candidate.
- An explanation letter stating the reason for studying in Canada and that the candidate is aware of their responsibilities as a student.
- Upon application submission and fee payment, a biometric registration might also be required. In this case, the application processing will start only after the submission of the biometric details. The candidate will be provided with a list of centers in India where it can be done.
Things to Take Note of While Applying for a Canadian Student Visa
- Keep all the documents mentioned above ready.
- Carefully go through the instruction guide for study permit applications for foreign nationals.
- Start by registering on the Canadian government IRCC website.
- All the questions have to be answered besides uploading the required documents.
- If needed, complete the biometric registration.
- Keep track of the application on the IRCC website.
- On acceptance of the application:
- Candidates will get a visa for entry to Canada.
- A letter of introduction will be provided to the candidate, which must be brought along while entering the country physically. Canada will issue a study permit after entering the country.
- In case of rejection:
- A letter will be provided stating the reasons, which can be any of the following.
- Lack of evidence for financial support.
- Failure in the medical examination, if any.
- The primary purpose of moving to Canada was not for studying.
- Lack of enough evidence supporting the candidate's willingness to leave the country upon completing the study program.
Application Fees and Duration of Processing
The application fee for a Canadian study permit is 150 CAD. It takes about ten weeks to process the applications of foreign nationals for a Canadian student visa. It doesn't include the time for completion of biometrics registration.
On applying through Direct Stream, the processing time can be reduced to just 20 days. It needs the following:
- DLI's acceptance letters.
- Proof of payment of first-year tuition fees.
- Should have CAD$10,000 GIC.
- Certificate of medical examination or police verification before application.
- The IELTS score must be six or higher
- Transcripts of recent secondary or post-secondary school.
A candidate can't disenroll from the study course with a Canadian study permit and continue
staying in Canada. You’re also not allowed to work before you finish your studies. With an invalid visa, one can't even return. It is advisable to check with an immigration specialist to get the best advice for your extraordinary journey.