Every year more than 500,000 international students enroll for admission to UK universities, making the UK the best and most sought-after destination for higher education. Have you ever wondered the reason behind such popularity?
Well, UK Universities enjoy excellent standards of education, world-class research facilities, and top-notch faculty. Moreover, as per QS World Ranking 2019, four out of the top 10 universities in the world (Oxford and Cambridge) are from the UK. Is this not reason enough to make UK universities some of the best in the world?
The most important USP of the UK universities is that they follow an out-of-the-box approach based on teaching methodology instead of theoretical textbook learning. Such pedagogy encourages students to get deeper insights into the subject and incorporates critical thinking, analytical skills, and creative abilities.
Excellent teaching faculty and an ambiance conducive to learning to inspire students worldwide to get their education from the UK. But one problem that students face is acquiring a UK student visa. So in this article, we will discuss the process of applying for a UK student visa, student visa requirements, and the cost and factors associated with a UK student visa.
UK Student Visa Application
As an Indian student, you need to qualify for the following parameters before applying for a UK student visa:
- Firstly, you must get selected in a UK university and have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- You should be above 16 years of age or else have the consent of your parents.
- You should have enough money to finance your education fees with ease.
- You must be literate and able to read and write English fluently.
So once you clear all the parameters, you now need to decide when to apply for the visa. If you reside outside the UK, you need to apply before six months, and in case you live in the UK, apply three months before taking admission in any academic courses in the UK.
Remember that your student visa will be valid until your program’s length, as decided by UK immigration authorities. Therefore:
- If you are above 18 years of age and admitted to a degree level program, you could stay for up to 5 years.
- If your course is not a degree-level program, you can stay on for a very long time.
UK Student Visa Process
Here is a detailed rundown of the UK student visa process:
- The first and foremost way is to identify the type of VISA you need. There are two types of visa, namely:
- Short-term Study visa: It is for those students who have applied for a short-term course or research-based degree that lasts for 6 or 11 months.
- Tier 4 Student visa: It is for those students who have applied for a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. degree. The duration of your course will decide how long you’re permitted to stay.
- Collect all the documents like CAS, financial statements, your passport, and other requested documents.
- In many visa application processes, biometric information is also requested. Do check that.
- While applying for a British visa, you need to prove your written and spoken English abilities by appearing for an English language test (SELT). You must fetch the CEFR level B2 of language proficiency.
- Now is the time to visit the UK Government website to apply for a UK study visa. Fill in all the details and pay the fees.
- Once you are done with payment, wait for a response within three weeks.
Documents Requirements for a UK Student Visa
When you apply for the visa, you are required to submit the following documents:
- Your visa Application form
- Passport size photo
- Evidence that you can pay your visa fees
- Evidence of your credibility to finance your education expenses
- Proof of your credibility to fund your living expenses
- Parent consent if you are below 18 years of age
- Immigration Health Surcharge
- The Self-assessment Form Appendix 8 (in case you’ve applied for it)
- Other documents as per your country of origin
In addition, you may also be asked to submit:
- A Tuberculosis test result
- A valid ATAS certificate
UK Student Visa Fees
While submitting your form, you will be required to submit your fees as designated by the visa office. Here is the breakdown of the fees below:
- £348 to apply for a student visa from outside the UK
- £475 to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK
As of the March 20, 2021 update, study visa applications are now open to residents of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, and European Economic Area (EEA). In any case, there has been news that student visas to non-EU, EEA, and Swiss residents will open anytime soon.
We hope you’ve understood how to apply for a visa. All you need to do is simply follow the steps mentioned above. Are you looking for assistance with your application? At Pax Credit, we offer Forex transactions in all major cities in India and offer the best exchange rate that helps you pay your education expenses abroad. Happy onboarding!